Tuesday 24 April 2018

What next?...Serum Protein Electrophoresis and Serum Immunofixation Electrophoresis


Moving on…once the cause of Chronic Kidney Disease or CKD as the Doctors write it in the prescription sheet was identified by the Lady Nephrologist i.e. N-3 at Hospital No. 3, she advised my mother to go for a Diagnostic test called “Serum Protein Electrophoresis or SPEP” to test for the presence of M Protein or M-Spike in her Urine

She told my mother and my brother that it is the results of the SPEP Tests that will determine the future course of treatments. She got two SPEP Tests done, one on 18th July 2012 which showed an M-Spike and then to eliminate any false positive, on the 21st July 2012, the Doctor ordered that the SPEP be performed again along with another Test termed “SIFE” i.e. Serum Protein Immunofixation Electrophoresis.

To read more about SPEP and SIFE, please read through this link on tests to find out Multiple Myeloma, which is also added in our BlogRoll. 
On 26th July 2012, the day I was due to return from my European travels, my brother picked me up from the Airport that afternoon and we went straight to Hospital No. 3, collected the reports and went and met N-3 to collect all reports and understand the steps forward that we both could undertake to help heal our mother.

SPEP report for Mom's samples collected on 18th July 2012


SPEP report for Mom's samples collected on 21st July 2012
Mom’s SIFE report for samples collected on 21st July 2012 


After seeing the findings of the above three reports, N-3 told me and my brother that, “the problem in your mother’s kidneys are due to some other disease, a blood-related disorder and to diagnose the same, you need to get her admitted as soon as possible, may be today itself so that our Hematologist-on-board can perform a Bone-marrow Biopsy on her”.

I and my brother decided on the way to our home that I will convince mom to get admitted later that evening. I reached home, after almost two months, to find my mother having lost oodles of weight because she was on that starving no salt, no sugar, and no protein diet she was put on by the Nephrology Team at Hospital No. 2.


Shocked at seeing her looking so weak, I hugged her tight and then saw the lunch she had lovingly prepared for me with all my favourite dishes, hand-cooked by her. With the N-3’s words ringing my mind, I was feeling so choked that it was difficult to swallow even a bite. My mom does not like it if we don’t eat our meals well, she didn’t like the way I was eating tiny portions that afternoon either, after all I was back home after about two months and she had prepared a love filled meal for me that day. I tried to tell her what the Doctor told us and convinced her to please listen to me and my brother and pack her bag for getting admitted at Hospital No.3. Very reluctantly, she agreed. I also packed a mini bag, picked up all her reports and then drove her to Hospital No. 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment